Chemical Health

General Program Information

The county can assist people with a chemical health assessment and treatment, if they:
  • Are a current county resident
  • Don’t have health insurance that covers chemical dependency treatment or the insurance plan has denied coverage
  • Meet the Minnesota State guidelines for income and household size
A chemical health assessment consists of:
  • A chemical dependency/drug evaluation
  • A determination of the need for chemical dependency/drug treatment

Other Resources


The chemical dependency unit also does prescreenings for judicial commitment when they receive an examiner's statement in support of a commitment from a medical doctor or psychiatrist who believes the person is a danger to himself or others due to his or her chemical use.

Applying for an Assessment

To apply for an assessment, applications can be done by:
  • Visit Community Services during our business hours (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.):
    204 Laurel St.
    Brainerd, MN 56401
  • Download and complete a Rule 25 Eligibility Application. Fax it to Chemical Health Intake at 218-824-1305 or email it.
  • Complete a Rule 25 Application on-line.

Documents Needed to Apply

After You Apply
Once Crow Wing County receives the application, it will be reviewed. If approved, the person will be given an authorization code along with a list of Assessment Providers. He/she can call the provider of their choice to set up an assessment.

Additional Information

For more information call 218-824-1140 and ask for chemical dependency intake. You may also email Program Coordinator Nathan Bertram.

Vendor Information